I’ve read before that the more in control of your life you feel, the happier you are. I think that’s why decluttering, organising, pottering and homemaking tasks are so popular. In a relatively short time, for little or no money you can take control of your home, and make it your oasis of calm away from the outside world (which is largely out of our control).
I had a think about what attributes a restful home would have for me so that I can incorporate these ideas as time goes by.
- Tonal, soft colours. Decorate with touchable textures.
- Clutter-free so the eye can travel unimpeded around the room.
- Candles and soothing music played at a low level to create an ambience.
- Learn the basics of feng shui – often you can correct an ‘off feeling’ in a room by moving furniture around to create a better flow. At its most basic feng shui simply means a room feels comfortable to be in.
- Be organised. When an item has an easily accessible place to live it will more likely get put it away. Clutter builds up when something has nowhere permanent to go.
- Simplify and surround yourself with only that which you love.
- Speaking in a pleasant tone – no fish-wife shrieking or calling out. I try to remember to use my feet rather than my voice.
What would you add to this list? What’s your favourite way to make your home a sanctuary?